Monday, May 5, 2008

Carrying

During my Junior High teenage years we lived in a small city in Southern Utah. For my 14th birthday, my folks gave me a .22 caliber rifle. All of my friends had .22’s and almost every Saturday a few of us would get together and go rabbit hunting north of town. We also did a lot of target practice. If one of us shot a cottontail rabbit, we would take it home to eat. Jack Rabbits were plentiful and we shot a lot of them but just left them there.

One of my friends Dad removed the fireing pin from a .32 caliber pistol and we played with it during our “Cops and Robbers” fantasies. The gun had a scabbard so you could strap it on to your waist. We took turns keeping the gun for a week at a time then passing it along to the next guy. One Sunday evening as my parents and I were preparing to go the Sacrament Meeting, they left to do some errand and said they would meet me in church. As I was leaving to go to Sacrament Meeting, a friend who had the .32 pistol came by to give it to me as it was my turn to have it for a week. Instead of taking the pistol and scabbard in the house, I just strapped it on, concealed under my suit coat and went on my way to Sacrament Meeting. I didn’t tell anyone that I had the gun and took my place with the other boys my age on the Deacons row. I passed the Sacrament with the pistol strapped to my waist! Later, I told my Mom and she just about died at the thought of what I had done. To put it mildly I got a good tongue lashing. After that week, I never had the pistol again.

Contrast what I just wrote about and think what would happen if a young, stupid boy did such a thing in this day and age even if joking. Even if the gun had been a cap pistol, he’d wind up in the Slammer and probably put on probation for a year or so. How times have changed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynn: One thing I know your parents wouldn't have done was to ban you from church for a period of time. You needed the church--pistol incident or no pistol incident. So would have I. I wonder what the scenario would be today if a Deacon was passing sacrament and his suit jacket came up high enough to reveal the pistol? Some people might stampede for the exit. A few would probably faint, etc.

Good story.

Kent B.

Sandi said...

You are so right. If it happened today, it would be on the national news "Mormon Deacon threatens congregation with pistol while the sacrament was being passed." I can see it now.