Friday, September 12, 2008

Prompting of the Spirit

My Dad worked construction most of his life. Shortly after he married my Mom, he got a job as a "Cat Skinner." The "Cat" was also known as a "Bulldozer." I asked him how he got the job and he said that he taught himself while demonstrating to his prospective employer that he could operate the equipment. For the next forty plus years, he worked construction jobs all over the country from Idaho to the Panama Canal and from Utah to South Carolina. During 1938 and 1939, my Dad, "Digger," was working on the Deer Creek Dam in Heber Valley in Utah. His job required that he, among other things, pioneer a road from the east side of the dam to the Walsberg road
east of Heber City. To this day, the highway follows the route he made. On one occasion, he stopped for lunch and backed his "cat" up to a steep incline that was in the shade to eat his lunch while sitting in the seat of the "cat." He had finished eating and was taking a nap before resuming his work. Suddenly, he awoke and a voice told him to get out of the seat and on to the ground. He did so and within a few seconds a rock from up the hill about four feet in diameter landed in the seat where he had been sitting. The rock must have been jarred loose while he was working the hillside for the road. He told me this story to emphasize the importance of following the promptings of the spirit. Had he not listened to and followed that small voice, he surely would have been killed. He was a very humble man though his outward demeanor did not show it.

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Thank you for sharing this. Digger hid this part of his personality. I knew he had a testimony and I knew he loved me, however, he did his best to hide it. I did love that man. He was so good to me.

Anonymous said...

One of the joys of my life was when I met Digger Rogerson while working for Karl Miller, Supervisor of Building and Grounds at BYU. I will always remember the "slouch" hat Digger wore with the turned up brim in the front. I don't know if he knew I chased around with his son but perhaps just as well he wasn't aware of that. I believe there was a time or two I spent a few hours as his "shovel" man when he was on one of the many pieces of large equipment he operated.

Kent B.

Linsey said...

Uncle Lynn, I found your blog through one of Auntie Patty's grandchildren (Camille Suman). My email address is linseycrisler@gmail.com. I have enjoyed reading these stories about you and Gramp.