Saturday, June 28, 2008

Digger and Butch

My dad, Linsey Clair Rogerson, his given name that he hated and changed to Lynn C Rogerson by which he was known except on LDS Church records told me many stories about his youth which occurred around the turn of the century, he being born in 1892. One of my favorite stories is about an incident that happened to him when he was 10 years old. He lived, with his family in Monticello, UT. He relates this story: "In the summer of 1902 a man came to our house one morning riding a white horse. He spoke to my father who instructed me and a friend to put the horse in the barn and then to stay outside and be quiet around the house. My dad and the man then went into our house. An hour or so later the Sheriff came to our house and came up to my father. He said: 'Johnny, have you seen a man ride past here on a white horse?' to which my father replied 'no.' (He didn't lie. The man did not ride past, he came onto our property and went in the house.) The Sheriff said 'If you see anyone like that, please notify me' and rode off. Later in the early evening, my father called me and my friend into the house. The man, who had been sleeping, was still there and my dad introduced us to him as Butch Cassidy. It appears that Butch and his gang had robbed the telegraph station in Castledale, UT the day before and had split up, Butch coming south to Monticello. My father knew Butch from their childhood days when Butch would come to Parowan, UT where my father lived before moving to Monticello under Brigham Young's orders to help settle the town. Butch reached into his pocket and retrieved two 25 dollar gold pieces then said to us, 'Promise me that you will never draw a gun on another man' before giving us the coins. We made the promise. and he gave one to me and one to my friend. I was sent to get the white horse and Butch rode off. I never saw him again. I have kept my promise made to Butch and though I have always owned hand guns, I've never drawn on another man, even in fun." How about that?

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Uncle Lynn, I remember hearing that story, it's good to have it in writing. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Lynn: I am confused by this sentence that I have "cut and pasted" from the article:

"'Promise me that you will never draw a gun on another man' before giving us the coins"

Who is "us" the coins were to be given to? Why was this particular direction given? Who was the "friend" that received a gold coin along with your father?

I remember a night when we each came alone but both appeared at the apartment of Shirley Chase with the intent of asking her for a date. Do you recall this incident?

Kent B.