Saturday, December 15, 2007

Layed over in Philly

You never know when your true self is being watched by someone else. Case in point: In 1968 while plying my profession as a trucker, I found myself in Philadelphia, PA. My artner and I had delivered a load of frozen french fries to the D.C. area and had been sent to Philly to lease to another trucking company for a load that would take us west. The only trouble was that the Teamsters Union had called a nationwide strike the day before and all trucking companies literally locked thier gates to protect their own loads until the strike was over. We were layed over in Philly while waiting for our dispatcher to find us a load going west. We were there for ten days. We were at a truck stop that had rooms. I spent most of my time reading, sleeping or playing eight ball in the leissure area of the fruck stop. I rode a bus to a nearby theater a couple of times to see a movie. When we finally got a load, when we tried to start our truck, the batteries were dead. We needed a jump start or a push. One of the people I had met while there was an old codger who used the truck stop as a base for a small towing, trouble shooting business. His demeaner was less than desireable being a rough and tumble person both in actions, habits and speech. I knew that he chargerd $50.00 for a push but he was our only choice. I went into the truck stop and asked if he would give us a push. I had the money in hand but when I went to give it to him he said: I've watched you the past week or so while you've been waiting for a load. Of all the men that come and go from this place, I want you to know that I'me never met a cleaner, finer young man than you. You don't smoke or use abusive language or actions. I respect you and for that I will give you a push for free. He did and we were on our way. To me I wasn't doing anything special, just living and acting the way I had been brought up both physically and spiritually. So it just goes to show that your actions and deeds don't go un-noticed. In this case it really paid off.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

What a kewl story. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Lynn: When you look back at life including your experience in Philly you can be proud of what the older gentleman noted about your demeanor. You'll never know for sure but your example might have had a bearing on him at some time in his life joining the church. I enjoyed your "blurb in your blog."

Kent B.