Sunday, December 9, 2007

Truckin' the Forty-eight

For thirty years I trucked up nd down the highways of the USA. It was a great career because I went to many different places and saw many interesting things and had various experiences - some good, some bad. I met a lot of interesting people who made my job very interesting. During my career, I hauled everything - both liquid, packaged and bulk except bulls and cars. I trucked in all states but five, Maine, New Hampshire, Mass., North and South Carolina.

I met drivers from all over the US and very seldom found one that had stayed with the same company for more than a couple of years or less. I decided that the truck drivers of today are like the saddle bums of the old west. Working for one outfit for a season and then moving on to another. Sometimes willingly and others by request. I guess I was the same to some extent although I only worked for four different companies in my thirty plus years of truckin'. If my health was good, I'd probably still be doing it.

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Uncle Lynn, I would like to read more about your experiences as a trucker.

Anonymous said...

Lynn: I enjoyed reading about your 30+ years in the trucking business. I learned more in a few minutes about that facet of your life than I've ever known before. I commend you on taking the time to create a blog. I recommend you get in the habit of commenting as you would in a diary. I can give you that advice and I'd do it also except I'm simply too lazy.

Kent B.

Mark said...

Hey Uncle Lynn, it's Mark. I'm Patricia's grandson. I just discovered your blog. I've loved reading through some of your life stories and look forward to reading more. Granner started sending out daily emails last year, but only did it for a little while.

I keep telling my wife, Sara, that I would love to be a trucker for a summer so I could have some of those great experiences that you had and travel all over the US.