Saturday, February 2, 2008

Memories from our youth

A posting by Sandi in her Blog "Wizards of Creativity" about a memory of an incident that happened to her when she was three years old made me think of memories of our youth. A fond memory I have happened when I was five years old. I was with my Mom and Dad traveling from St. Maries, Idaho to Safford Arizona. Dad worked for a pipeline constuction company as a "Cat Skinner" or Bull Dozer operator. As such, it was his job, when they moved, to load the bull dozer onto a flat bed semi truck and take it to the next job site. This particular move took plade in December 1936 at Christmas time. My big concern was how Santa Claus was was going to find us if we didn't have a permanent house. It happened at Jacobs Lake, Arizona. We arrived there on Christmas Eve and Dad got us a cabin to stay in. During that night it snowed two feet. In the morning, I found, to my joy, that Santa had indeed found us and I got the toy I had asked for. My Dad unloaded the bull dozer from the semi trailer and plowed all the snow from the trailer court and the owner gave us our cabin rental for free. After the state snow plows went by, we continued on our way to Safford, Ariz. What a thrill it is to think back to that time and know that my parents were mindful of the importance of Christmas and made it happen for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynn: I remember Jacobs Lake well from the summer I worked in
Grand Canyon with my brother, Don.

The guy that owned the motel got a good deal by giving Digger his accomodation overnight for getting his parking lot plowed.

Digger must have left Santa Claus a note before you left for Arizona to let him know where you would be on Christmas Eve. STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED.

Thanks--I enjoyed your story. Tried to get on the blog the first day I got notification but the server must have been busy and I couldn't get in until today.

Kent B.