Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My first Golf Tournament

A post from "Wizard of Creativity" reminded me of my first golf tournament experience. It happened in 1951 while I was on my mission to Eastern Canada. My companion and I were laboring in Sherebrooke, Que., a city about the size of Ogden, UT. It was Sunday and we had no church meeting to go to since there were no members and the nearest branch was in Montreal, 150 miles away. We usually spent the time studying or just relaxing. This Sunday, however, was the last day of the PGA Eastern Canadian Open Golf Tournament with such noteable golfers as Ben Hogan & Sam Snead just to mention a couple of the players. We decided to go watch the action. We rode our bikes out to the Sherbrooke Country Club but when we got there, a man at the entrance said that it would cost us $10.00 apiece to get in. We declined and were just about to leave when the head groundskeeper walked by. He, as it turned out, was a gospel investigator that we had been teacching. He said to the gatekeeper, "Let these guys in as my guests." He took us directly to the club house lounge and said to the bartender "These are Mormon Missionaries. They don't smoke, drink coffee or alcohol. Give them whatever they want, food, drink, etc. and give me the tab." He left us there as he had a lot to do. We watched some of the tournament and had a relaxing day away from the rigors of missionary work. I can't remember the investigator's name. I got transferred while we were in the teaching process of him but learned later that he had joined the Church, one of the first in Sherebrooke.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

What a great story. I am learning so much about you. This is great

Anonymous said...

Lynn: Were you and your companion really doing the right thing by attending a golf tournament on a Sunday, even though the nearest church was 150 miles away? I'm sure that even back in those days they had that thing called "Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy." Shame on you!!!!

Kent B.