Thursday, January 10, 2008

Spiritual ID

In a previous post I told how living as you should, paid off. The following story takes place in Seattle, Washington in 1955. I was in the army stationed at Fort Lawton there in Seattle. It was Christmas time and when our folks asked us what we wanted for Christmas, we said "Send us money." They did but in personal checks both in the amount of $100.00. So here we were, two days before Xmas trying to cash a couple of two party checks. We tried to cash the checks at stores but to no avail. We went to several banks with the same results. We were about to give up when we tried one last bank. When I asked the teller if she could cash the checks, she said the manager would have to okay it first. He asked for ID and I started to take out various forms of ID from my wallet i.e. Army ID, library card, etc. I didn't have a drivers license, it was suspended but that's another story. However, in the process of taking everything out of my wallet, my temple recommend dropped on the counter. The bank manager picked it up and said "Isn't this a Mormon Temple Recommend?" I said yes. He said that he was not a Mormon but had friends that were and knew that in order to have a temple recommend required that a person ge honest and trustworthy living as they should. He asked if our parents also had recommends and we said yes. He said "Based on that, I'm going to approve your checks to be cashed." How thankful we were that we had some "Spiritual ID."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynn: Now I need the story of how your drivers license was suspended. My mind is going 100 miles per hour putting my own scenario to the story.

Kent B.

Sandi said...

That is so awesome. You didn't wear badges in those days did you? Hats, but no badges. Yeah what about that driver's license?